Thursday, March 15, 2012

Am I so different form Peter?

3.15.12

Title: Am I so different from Peter?

Scripture:
And immediately the rooster crowed the second time.
Suddenly, Jesus’ words flashed through Peter’s mind: “Before the rooster crows twice, you will deny three times that you even know me.” And he broke down and wept. (Mark 14:72 NLT)

Observation:
Peter is known, better yet, famous for bold brash over confident statements. He blurted out things that many around wanted to say, like, "I'll die before I deny you Jesus!" Maybe he was caught up in the moment, over zealous, or just thinking out loud, but Peter said what most of us feel in our hearts. Then, he did exactly what he said he wouldn't do, he betrayed Jesus.

Application:
Am I so different from Peter? I hate to admit it, but no. Maybe my life has never been threatened over my faith, but I've missed opportunities to stand up for Christ. Times that I could have, should have stood or or spoke up and declared my allegiance to Jesus, that I chose to just slip through the crowd or quietly move on. In essence, I did just as Peter, I denied my implied promise to "die before I denied Christ". Ok, maybe I'm pushing the similarities here just a little bit but the point is made. The awesome thing about Jesus is that He forgave and restored Peter; He's done the same for me countless times. Later, Peter, filled with the Spirit, older, wiser, seasoned, and more resolute, faced the challenge and passed. He refused to deny Christ, even when it cost him his life. Am I so different from Peter? I hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment